One of our favorite summer leisures is definitely taking a cruise on the mighty Mississippi aboard an old-timey paddle boat. If this is something you’ve yet to do as a Minnesotan, we suggest you remedy that immediately–there are few things more charming than sitting in the breeze as the ye olde Padelford takes you down the storied waters of the Mississippi amidst a backdrop of lush foliage (and maybe a few interesting characters along the river banks, if you’re lucky!).
The Padelford Riverboats have long been a staple on the Mighty Miss, and there’s quite a variety of moods and themes for which you to plan your excursion around.
- For the romantic in you, choose a Sunset Dinner Cruise ($38) to be treated to an evening rendezvous complete with pot roast , baked manicotti, and more.
- If you’re feeling a bit festive, book one of the early evening margarita cruises ($25) where you can sip 2-4-1 margs and munch on free tacos.
- Maybe you’re more into the history of the river and its ports–no prob–there are a number of historic sight-seeing tours to be had ($16 Daily / $8 Monday Madness).
- We’re quite curious about the longer sight-seeing tours, such as the Lock & Lunch ($38), a 4-hour cruise complete with a roasted turkey breast and mashed potatoes lunch and a bit of historical narration on the side. Sunday lunch cruises are available as well ($29) where you can enjoy BBQ pulled pork sandwiches and glorious river views all afternoon.
- Perhaps best of all, you can even opt to see theater on the river thanks to the Centennial Showboat. Now playing: The Vampire! which we’re sure will make for a delightfully spooky summer evening on the Mississippi.
Cruises happen daily, discounts apply for children 3-12 yrs. Tickets are available online at riverrides.com. Check the calendar to find the right cruise for you.